EIKEV – REWARD
Deuteronomy 7:12 to 11:25
Isaiah 49:14 to 51:3
In this third study in the book of Deuteronomy, Moses continues to impart wisdom to the Children of Israel so it will go well with them when they return to the land promised them so they may live in peace/shalom.
In the last lesson, we learned that the Word that was heard from the beginning (Beresheet/ Genesis) is the same Word Moses is imparting here. Also, in Romans 5:14 we learned that, “death reigned from Adam to Moses.” Paul did not say, “death reigned from Adam to Yeshua.”
- Romans 5:14 “Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses”
In this study, Moses is very careful to go over the details. It is through Moses we learn how to walk in Yeshua’s righteousness. Without his wisdom of Messiah our faith today would be weak.
- Romans 10:4-5 “For Christ/Messiah is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. For Moses writes about the righteousness [,] which is of the law, ‘The man who does those things shall live by them [what is written in the law].’ ”
Messiah is the end of the law for righteousness. During the time from Adam to Moses, His words had not become law in the people on the earth yet. It was not until His Word, the Gospel, was presented formally as the Ten Commandments, that the Israelites at Mount Sinai accepted vocally, that the Words then become laws for their righteousness. Their verbalized oath then became the standard or the law to live by – for all generations – for the sake of righteousness. Thus Messiah is the end, goal or purpose of the law for righteousness, which is written down for all to witness (John 5:46-47).
Moses made sure, in his last words to the Israelites, why it was important to keep the law. With the people’s pledge to obey, they were now bound by their own words. If they did not obey the law then it would become a witness against them. This is why Moses stressed over and over again for the people to be very careful to obey.
- Deuteronomy 7:11-13 “Therefore you shall keep the commandment, the statutes, and the judgments which I command you today, to observe them. Then it shall come to pass, because you listen to these judgments, and keep and do them, that the LORD/Yahweh your God/Elohim will keep with you the covenant and the mercy which He swore to your fathers.”
Further, Moses shared that if the people observed all the words of their affirmation, Yahweh would love them, bless them and multiply them. He would bless the fruit of their wombs as well as the fruit of their land with new grain, wine and oil. Their flocks would also multiply and all sickness be kept from them. They would be delivered from the enemy and they would not live in fear. This Yahweh would give to them little by little so they would be strengthened in the process (Deuteronomy 7:14-24).
- Deuteronomy 7:21-23 “No, do not be afraid of those nations, for Yahweh is among you, and he is a great and awesome God/Elohim. Yahweh will drive those nations out ahead of you little by little. You will not clear them away all at once, for if you did, the wild animals would multiply too quickly for you. But Yahweh will deliver them over to you, and will inflict defeat upon them until they are destroyed.”
If the enemy were on the doorstep or if believers have any number of dis-eases, Scripture teaches that they may have innocently walked out from under the covering of Yahweh’s order for their lives. Misfortune can be granted access through wrong associations, dwelling in or entering buildings that are unclean, or by wearing incorrect clothing.
We are instructed to take daily inventory of our relationship with Yeshua and to take every thought captive by examining its source – is it from God, from ourselves, or from Satan’s kingdom? If believers discern an ungodly thought, they must not let time pass but quickly reject it and not allow it to settle in their minds or it will become one with them in their long term memory. They must ask them selves “Does my conduct match my confession?” If it does not, they have missed the mark (called sin) and are out of order with Yeshua. This can cause them to miss out on His promised blessings. The Words of Moses are as relevant for us today as they were in the days of the first Children of Israel. This is why Moses and his writings are shared at length in the New Testament/Brit Chadasha. Yahweh’s instruction (Gospel) is listed in the Five Books of Moses and are confirmed, quoted and honored in the New Testament/Brit Chadasha. These two witnesses of heaven and earth help us move toward a walk of purity and holiness so that His people may proclaim the Greater Torah, which is Yeshua in the fullness of His identity found in the pages of Genesis through to Revelation.
- Isaiah 52:7 “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news [the Gospel], who proclaims peace, who brings glad tidings of good things, who proclaims salvation, who says to Zion, ‘Your God reigns!’ ”
- Mark 16:15-20 “And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will follow those who believe [in the Gospel]: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.’ So then, after the Lord had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God. And they went out and preached [the Gospel] everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the word through the accompanying signs. Amen.”
When we said, “We will hear and we will obey,” we surrendered our lives to Yahweh and accepted Yeshua as King over us. The vow we made then became legal and binding in heaven and on earth. We submitted to Him, desiring to come under His Kingly ruling and care in His Covenant (Abrahamic) promises. In doing this we gave up our preferences, self-will and the old sinful ways to enter into His Kingdom – the Law of Life - to union with His Son Yeshua.
While many people say they want to pursue purity in their lives, a walk of holiness can seem daunting, distant or even bewildering if the proper order and instruction of Moses is missing. Many do not realize that the words he spoke at Mount Sinai are to repair any breach between the believer and Yahweh. This enables mankind to pursue holiness and enter into the calling - the priesthood in the Davidic Covenant. It is only holiness that forms the order of Melchizedek (a king and a priest) in the Davidic Covenant. If believers still have known or are tolerating sinful issues in their lives, they may try to pursue holiness but left wondering why it eludes them.
What Moses taught also personified the holiness of Yeshua’s teaching in the New Testament/Brit Chadasha, as it is only the order of Melchizedek (Davidic Covenant) that raises the dry bones and gives resurrection life to a lifeless, fruitless body and spirit. Again, the Israel connection is inexorable, as both Ezekiel’s prophecy of a valley of dry bones coming to life becoming a vast army and the latter day Melchizedek priesthood are promised to a single people: the nation of Israel - consisting of all twelve tribes and those who have joined themselves to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Understanding our identity as part of Israel and part of Yahweh’s priesthood moves His believers forward in certainty to defeat any giants that stand in opposition to God’s plans for their lives (Ezekiel 37).
As believers, we must understand that while to be filled with the Spirit covers us it is not until we walk under His heavenly authority that we are one in Yeshua. Authority in Yahweh’s Kingdom comes when we obey His Gospel found in our Mosaic Covenant. Honoring Yahweh’s Feast Days, His Sabbath, His clean and holy ways (including what He says is food for us) blesses us and covers us in His Kingdom authority. As believers, we may be filled with the Spirit and speak in tongues but if we are still eating meat with blood in it or pepperoni pizza we are placing blood and pork on the altar of His Tabernacle within us. This is not a salvation issue but it is an issue of our obedience to the confession we made to Him to honor His word in our lives (Exodus 19:5-6; Ezekiel 44; Amos 9:11; Act 15: 16-21; 2 Corinthians 6:16-7:1; 1 Peter 2:9; Hebrews 4).
Hebrews 12:1-2 “Therefore, since we [believers] are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Yeshua, the author and perfecter of our faith...”
Hebrews 12:10-14 “God disciplines us [believers] for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore [Believers], strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. ‘Make level paths for your feet,’ so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed. [Believers] Make every effort to live in peace with all men [love your neighbor] and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.”
It is through obedience to His Word/Gospel that believers receive their freedom from bondage. It is in their obedience to His Principles/ketubah that Yeshua in-fills them with His power and His authority to stand firm, effectively leaving no room for the enemy to trespass in their lives.
As part of the Covenant conditions, Moses warned the people to keep separate from the nations Yahweh was delivering them from. He specifically warned not to integrate with them or they could assimilate into idol worship and parish along with them.
- Deuteronomy 7:25-26 “You shall burn the carved images of their gods with fire; you shall not covet the silver or gold that is on them, nor take it for yourselves, lest you be snared by it; for it is an abomination to the LORD/Yahweh your God/Elohim. Nor shall you bring an abomination into your house, lest you be doomed to destruction like it. You shall utterly detest it and utterly abhor it, for it is an accursed thing.”
Believers must be careful not to covet images, gods, or idols of other religions or cultures, or invite them into their homes. To admire them or place them before Yahweh is an abomination. He calls us to burn them in the fire and not regard the gold and silver in them. The detestable can have access into a believer’s life when they innocently buy souvenirs while on vacation. These can be symbolic of that country, a national idol or foreign god. Lifting up religious relics, mementos, shrines or places of worship from other cultures or religions are all forms of worshiping high places. We are cautioned not to bring them into our lives, or homes or place them before Yahweh or we will parish along with them.
Spiritually speaking, coveting things or people is a form of idol worship. Lust of the flesh, lust of the eye, and pride of life all stem from coveting. Yahweh warns us against this form of worship (1 John 2:16). As we learned in the study of Balak, believers can become ensnared by the flesh by eating what Yahweh forbids, tolerating wrong associations, assuming workaholic lifestyles or seeking a worldly pleasure that are opposed to the Covenant they vowed to keep.
These examples show how Yahweh’s people invite other gods and their spiritual activity into their homes and lives. These idols may have been constructed with grace and beauty, and even cost a significant amount, but they are unacceptable, as they represent a false god and pagan religion before Yahweh (Deuteronomy 7:25-26).
- Exodus 20:3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.”
- Numbers 33:51-52 “Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: ‘When you have crossed the Jordan into the land of Canaan, then you shall drive out all the inhabitants of the land from before you, destroy all their engraved stones, destroy all their molded images, and demolish all their high places’”
The Asherah Pole
On a personal note, growing up in West Vancouver, in British Columbia, Canada, we lived fifty feet above a beautiful creek that flowed through the land. The house looked down the protected fisheries stream where, in the fall, salmon would swim up to spawn. My father loved West Coast Native art and acquired one of the last deep-carved totem poles in the region from the local First Tribes nation. The day it arrived, five chiefs from the nations, in full regalia came to pray over our property. They sought the best location to place the pole and then performed their ceremony, dedicating our property to the three gods carved on it. After all the official duties were completed, my father secured the coveted sacred idol overlooking the stream on the side of the hill beside our house.
Unknowingly we had opened our lives up to the enemy’s realm of sin and death. Over time, the physical and spiritual act of accepting and worshipping those gods and their influence upon us became evident. Yahweh is as faithful to the curse as He is to the blessing. Eventually the unclean spirits prevailed in our lives and on our property. After the Asherah totem pole was planted on our property, our family began to suffer emotionally and physically. Over the years, it took a toll in our lives. One terrible night, the household was woken with the earth shaking and a thunderous rumbling noise. In the morning we found that all the land except the ground where the totem pole stood had slid down the bank into the river below. The trees, beautifully landscaped garden, patio, with the lawn furniture, were all gone in an instant. The house was left intact but now sat precariously close to the edge of a cliff. Only a small part of the original property was left, along with the totem pole. Poverty, alcohol abuse and divorce soon ended what was left of our family and resources. Years later, when the house was sold, the totem pole was removed and returned to those who carved it. Through all of our tragedies, my parents and I sought Yeshua as our Lord and Savior. In our repentance He saved us, healed us and restored us (Exodus 34:13; Deuteronomy 7:5; 12:3; 16:21).
- Deuteronomy 7:26 “Do not bring a detestable thing into your house or you, like it, will be set apart for destruction. Utterly abhor and detest it, for it is set apart for destruction.”
What ways do we falsely worship Yahweh and what things do we bring into our houses that are detestable to Him? Here are just a few idols from our Western culture:
- Christmas worship and objects. The Christmas tree (a male phallic symbol with balls, which is a modern-day Asherah pole that we bow down to for gifts – Jeremiah 10:3-4), mistletoe, Santa Claus, stockings, Yule log and wreaths
- Easter worship and Easter bunnies, eggs and hot cross buns
- Angelic images and objects (for “angel worship”)
- Everything associated with the celebration of Halloween
- Abhorred forms of worship found in secret societies like Freemasonry, fraternities and sororities, and their symbols
- False religions such as Buddhism, Islam and Hinduism, religious idols, foreign gods and obelisks
- Yoga, Pilates, horoscopes, karate, pagan symbols, dream catchers
- Pharmacia (which include prescription drugs or homeopathic remedies to mask the illness instead of going to the spiritual root of the problem)
- Acupuncture, psychology, occultic forms of massage, Reiki
- Science fiction, occultic music, occultic books and movies like Harry Potter and many Disney, mind control courses and the list could go on and on…
Deuteronomy 8:1-3 “Be careful to follow every command I am giving you today, so that you may live and increase and may enter and possess the land that Yahweh promised on oath to your forefathers. Remember how Yahweh led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would KEEP (do) his commands. He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of Yahweh.”
Deuteronomy 8:4, 6-9 “Your garments did not wear out on you, nor did your foot swell these forty years. Therefore you shall keep the commandments of the LORD/Yahweh your God/Elohim, to walk in His ways and to fear Him. For the LORD/Yahweh your God/Elohim is bringing you into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and springs, that flow out of valleys and hills; a land of wheat and barley, of vines and fig trees and pomegranates, a land of olive oil and honey; a land in which you will eat bread without scarcity, in which you will lack nothing; a land whose stones are iron and out of whose hills you can dig copper” (Deuteronomy 29:5).
Deuteronomy 8:10-18 “Observe the commands of Yahweh, walking in His ways and revering Him. When you have eaten and are satisfied (after the meal), praise Yahweh for the good land He has given you.”
We see in the New Testament/Brit Chadasha that both Yeshua and Paul gave the blessing before a meal. This was in fulfillment with the offerings listed in Leviticus chapter 1-7. However, Yahweh also commands us to remember to thank Him after the meal. There is a reason for this. It is about idol worship. The Word says that if we are not thankful after the meal, we will be incline to forget Yahweh and get caught up in the riches of the land. Our hearts will become proud by what we have done and be led astray, enticed by other gods to worship, and quickly forget Yahweh and His blessings in our lives.
“Then you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gained me this wealth. And you shall remember the Yahweh your God/Elohim, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day” (Deuteronomy 8:17-18; Hebrews 4).
In Romans, Paul exposes the root of this in more sobering thought…
- Romans 1:18-32 “For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man - and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.”
Remember and Never Forget
Deuteronomy 9:7-10:5 “Remember this and never forget how you provoked Yahweh to anger in the desert.”
What are we to remember today that provoked Yahweh’s anger? When the people forgot their Covenant (Gospel) they vowed to keep, they quickly try to fill the void with the worship of an idol – the golden calf. This is the same for believers today. Our own vow will condemn us if we are not true to our confession. Therefore, we are called to remember and be responsible to the vocalization of our commitment by honoring the Word so that it will go well for us.
There is hope in all this as we read Ezekiel 11:19
- Ezekiel 11:19 “Then I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within them, and take the stony heart out of their flesh, and give them a heart of flesh.”
Forty days later, Moses returned from Mount Sinai with the newly inscribed tablets in his hands to give to the Children of Israel. This is a prophetic picture of Yeshua’s grace and mercy. His renewal that day of our broken Marriage Covenant is a prophecy that is still being fulfilled even in our day. We witness this in Acts chapter one, when forty days after Yeshua’s death and resurrection His disciples asked Him, “Lord [Yeshua], wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?” (Acts 1:6). They were not asking about His death and resurrection but about the reunification of the two witness of heaven on earth in those who carry His truth. The Feast of Shavuot/Pentecost in Acts 2 was not the beginning of something new, but the beginning of His renewal to restore the Heavenly Kingdom to Israel. When the two witnesses of the Messiah (heaven and earth), witnessed by both houses on earth (the House of Israel and the House of Judah)truly come together in obeying their legalized Covenant from Mount Sinai, this is the Kingdom restored to Israel (Hebrews 8:8-10).
Yeshua wants us to remember His Words and to observe the protocol of our commitment to Him. We see Peter reminding us of this by quoting Exodus 19:5-6 saying we are a royal priesthood. Yeshua wants us to inherit and keep all of His promised blessings in our lives – and in the Land of our inheritance, as He wants to pour out His blessings upon us. This is His love toward us. We are commanded to never forget how to walk in His ways.
- 1Peter 2:9-10 “But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy” (Exodus 19:5-6).
- Malachi 4:4-6 “Remember [our confession to the Word] the Law of Moses, My servant, which I commanded him in Horeb for all Israel, with the statutes [blessings] and judgments [curses]. Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of Yahweh. And he will turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the earth with a curse.”
We are called to encourage our children and the next generations in all the Words held in this legal document to help them also become good stewards who love to obey His words. Our children are commanded to live by His Words, as every word spoken by Yahweh is relevant for today. His words are not to be learned as academia, but truly lived in our heart and walked out in our lives, as they are the good news of the Gospel to share with others. We are to be a people who never grow tired of hearing the Words of our Father. The Word spoken at Mount Sinai became flesh and dwelt among us. He is Yeshua, the Living Word (Genesis 1:1; John 1:1,14).
If You Remember Your Commitment to My Words
- Deuteronomy 11:22-25 “For if you carefully keep all these commandments which I command you to do - to love Yahweh your God, to walk in all His ways, and to hold fast to Him - then Yahweh will drive out all these nations from before you, and you will dispossess greater and mightier nations than yourselves. Every place on which the sole of your foot treads shall be yours: from the wilderness and Lebanon, from the river, the River Euphrates, even to the Western Sea, shall be your territory. No man shall be able to stand against you; Yahweh your God will put the dread of you and the fear of you upon all the land where you tread, just as He has said to you.”
The Marriage Covenant
When Moses carried the final legal confirmation of the Marriage Covenant (the Gospel, our ketubah), written on two stone tablets, down the mountain for the second time, he carried the representation of the truth in Messiah on those tablets. Contained within the words were the three witnesses of heaven: The Father, The Word and the Holy Spirit (the three are one); and the three witnesses on earth: The Spirit, the water and the blood (all three agree as one). Thus the truth was established for all time – legally! The contents within these two witnesses of the Messiah are to be inscribed on the heart of every believer. The people of heaven and earth will be found in the House of Judah and the House of Israel – and those who sojourn with the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob – carriers of the written word (Jeremiah 31:31-33; Hebrews 8:8-10; 1John 5:6-8 KJV/NKJV).
The Shepherd Looking for His Lost Sheep
In our day, Yeshua is ingathering His sheep (those who carry the testimony of His witness), the two scattered Houses of Israel, to restore His truth on earth. He gave specific directions to His disciples to focus on the House of Israel.
- Matthew 10:5-6 “These twelve Jesus/Yeshua sent out and commanded them, saying: ‘Do not go into the way of the Gentiles/Nations, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.’ ”
Yeshua would not have given specific directions to His disciples about House of Israel if it were not His focus also. Therefore, we see Yeshua supporting His own mission in saying,
- Matthew 15:24 “But He [Yeshua] answered and said, ‘I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel’ ” (Luke 15:4-5).
- Ezekiel 37:11-14 “Then He said to me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They indeed say, ‘Our bones are dry, our hope is lost, and we ourselves are cut off!’ Therefore prophesy and say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD/Adonai Elohenu: Behold, O My people, I will open your graves and cause you to come up from your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel. Then you shall know that I am the LORD/YHVH, when I have opened your graves, O My people, and brought you up from your graves. I will put My Spirit in you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I, the LORD/YHVH, have spoken it and performed it,’ says the LORD/YHVH.”
As His Covenant people come to understand that by obedience to His Word and including it as part of their lifestyle, brings restoration in the order of Melchizedek/priesthood – thus the Kingdom of Israel has begun! (Hebrews chapter 3-5; Revelation 22:2).
- Acts 1:6 “Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him [Yeshua], saying, ‘Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?’ ”
- Isaiah 49:6 “For He has said: ‘It is too little that you should be My servant in that I raise up the tribes of Jacob [reference to all twelve tribes of Israel/the Whole House of Israel] and restore the survivors of Israel: I will also make you a light of Nations, that My salvation [Yeshua] may reach the ends of the earth.’”
- Joel 2:28-32 “And it shall come to pass afterward that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions. And also on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days. And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth: blood and fire and pillars of smoke. The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the coming of the great and awesome day of Yahweh. And it shall come to pass that whoever calls on the name of Yahweh shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be deliverance, as Yahweh has said, among the remnant whom Yahweh calls” (Acts 2:16-21).